I did it again…
I bought the new iPhone 3G S today. On launch day. I know…
I skipped the iPhone 3G, so the feature-gap with my G1 iPhone made the upgrade worth it. The Geekette, bless her geeky soul, encouraged me to go for it (she should be getting the old iPhone, which is better than her old Nokia, but I know that was only a secondary consideration…).
Nevertheless, I’ll share a few impressions in case you’re curious (and even if you’re not):
- The 3G S is very noticeably a lot much faster, in every respect. The UI is like liquid butter (as opposed to just plain butter).
- The Maps + Compass combo is incredible (or will be on the rare occasions that I’m somewhere that I don’t know like the back of my hand). The way the pins on the Map move in 3D space while the map rotates to show your direction is worth it in itself, though.
- The touch to focus feature of the camera makes a world of difference. And I’m sure I can find a use for video recording (and the Video Stabilization feature in iMovie ’09).
- I called the person with the weirdest last name I know (mine) using the (French version of) Voice control. Worked like a charm.
- Even though MMS and Tethering are both available on launch in France, I haven’t tried either yet. Might be useful in a pinch (<— iPhone humor).
Finally, I thought I would indulge in a frivolous little experiment:
“Still life with cashews and guitar pick and iPhone 3G S” shot with original iPhone
“Still life with cashews and guitar pick and original iPhone” shot with iPhone 3G S
Confusing, isn’t it?Tweet